• NO BURNING AFTER DARK except recreational campfires.

  • YARD DEBRIS BURNING ONLY inside of the City Limits.

  • All burning shall be attended continuously. You must have your permit on site and available while burning.

  • Water and fire tool shall be readily available while burning.

  • A complaint of smoke from your fire will be investigated and may result in the extinguishment of the fire by the authority of the Fire Chief. Repeated complaints or disregard from the rules may result in your permit being revoked.

  • Burning shall be at least ten (10) feet from all combustible structures.

  • The Fire Department may inspect burn piles at any time throughout the year to verify size is adequate for safety.

  • The Oregon Department of Forestry mandates restrictions during fire season and during periods of extreme dryness.

  • During Fire season:  Only burn barrels with ¼ inch screens are allowed from Sunrise to 10am unless in a full ban.

  • For up-to-date fire information find us on Facebook or call 503.738.5420 Extension #5.



  • Is “Any open fire used for cooking, personal warmth, lighting, ceremonial or aesthetic purposes that is hand built and that is not associated with any debris disposal activities. ORS 477.001

  • No permit is required or issued in Seaside but there are some guidelines:

    • Someone must be with the fire while burning and it must extinguished before leaving.

    • They are allowed at campsites, personal residences, and on beaches.

    • Recreational fires need to be 10 feet away from any structure.

    • Clear all combustibles (brush, grass, etc.) 5 feet away and 10 feet above the fire.

    • Maximum fire size is 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height.

    • Fire pit size is a max of 4 feet in diameter and the pit must be a minimum of 12 inches high.

    • Recreational fires may be banned during periods of extreme fire conditions.


BURNING ON THE BEACH                                      

  • Max size is 3 feet by 3 feet in dimension. Larger fires require an Oregon State Parks permit (except during fire season). Call Oregon Parks and Recreation Department at 541-563-8500, to see if it’s an authorized activity and if a permit is available.

  • Must be in open sand, a minimum of 25 feet away from dune grass (50 feet during fire season).

  • Only natural, untreated wood and paper may be burned. You cannot burn driftwood.

  • Burning pallets or any metal, nails, glass, or plastics is not allowed.

  • Do not use gasoline or petroleum products to start your fire.

  • Do not leave your fire unattended and when you’re done Do Not Cover your fire with sand, instead spread out the coals and douse with water.


BURNING OUTSIDE OF THE CITY, IN THE DISTRICT              www.deq.state.or.us/aq/burning/openburning/openburn.asp

  • Domestic (household waste such as paper, cardboard, clothing) and yard debris (wood, needle, leaf materials from tree shrubs or plants) burning is allowed with this permit.

  • During the summer district residents must also obtain a permit from ODF: 503.325.5451

  • Land regulated by ODF for timber harvest must have a permit from ODF for slash burning.

  • A DEQ permit is required for all other burning, including: Industrial, Commercial, Construction, Demolition or Slash burning. 503-229-5600



The burning of garbage, plastics, asbestos, insulation, automobile parts, asphalt, petroleum products, treated wood, rubber (including tires), animal remains, and any material that emits a dense smoke or noxious odor.



Burn permits are currently required for burn barrels, open piles, and open burning.

Burn Permits can be obtained online or at the Fire Station. They are valid for each calendar year, free of charge and can be obtained at Seaside Fire and Rescue week days from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. 

Each day you plan to burn you must first call Seaside Dispatch at 503-738-6311  to activate your permit for the day.